Thursday, November 29, 2007

Thought patterns

Just the other day I discovered a whole new way of thinking: purely linear. Now, most people would categorize my thought pattern as "random", but I believe it to be perhaps even more logical than a more traditional pattern. For instance, while my comments (out loud) would picturesquely form more of a dotted line than a solid one. Think of a road: When there is a solid line, you can see all of it, follow all of it; but, when there is a dotted line, all that you see are fragments of that line.

However, I must confess that my mind does not even tend to follow a dotted line. It's more of a dotted line, with swirls, curved, and connecting dots in the apparently "empty" spaces in between. Fun Fun. The funnest part of all of this is meeting someone who either can follow your "jumps", or actually thinks in the same swirls and curls as my own mind. Interesting, oi?

So, back to where I started at the very beginning: experiencing purely, solid, linear thinking. Now, how did this ever come to be? Truth be told, it was due to an unexpected Ibuprofen overdose (my last ortho appointment left me in so much pain--and therefore, grumpy, by my family's definition--that my Mom gave me some Ibuprofen. What she didn't expect was that it was 3 times my normal dose.)

Not only could some "linear-thinking" friends of mine fully understand what I was thinking, when and why (which was, to say the least, creepy), but also could guess both my next thoughts, and I theirs. I decided that being random and unexpected was far more fun.

Thinking in a solid line, however, did not slow me down--or reduce my ability to multi-task. In fact, just because I was thinking in a line did not mean it was just ONE line. No! I was operating on multiple lines at a time, and kind of jeopardizing my otherwise completely linear afternoon.

I guess I just cannot help being slightly random, even when drug overdoses dictate otherwise. :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL!!! What's it like, thinking in a straight line? Must be kinda hard to do... (this is Kate, btw. I'm just using the fact that Leanne's logged in since I don't have an account. mwahahaha)

Anonymous said...

LOL!!! My friend, you do beat all. What was it like, thinking in a straight line?

Anonymous said...

OH! haha, i just noticed why the first comment didn't show up... ok, yeah. So lateness affects me kind of like diet pepsi affects a certain friend of mine... :P