Thursday, March 13, 2008

Gargling just like any other day


Ok, now I am officially 17. We won't go into that whole discussion again... but, my birthday this year really supported my views that birthdays, while special, are pretty much the same as other days. Getting a cold yesterday proved it :) I woke up with a strange feeling in my throat, which evolved until this morning I couldn't even talk for a while... The headache and feverish feeling from last night is gone, thank goodness. Yesterday I tried the infamous lemon-and-honey-in-warm-water treatment, and, while I don't mind the flavor, the smell is just repugnant. Honey gone bad. I had been told that the soreness in my throat would be relieved instantly. Well, it was instantly, but only in the sense that it was gone for an instant. As soon as it was down my throat, that feeling of "Oh, wow, it doesn't hurt anymore!" vanished and the pain returned. So, what do I do when I get a sore throat? Research it, of course! I was amazed to find the medical difference between types of sore throats: strep throat, laryngitis, tonsillitis, pharyngitis... and I actually learned what each thing means and I can now locate in precisely in the human body. What good are these pesky ailments that don't keep us from work, but only annoy us with a dose of pain, if you cannot learn something interesting out of the whole thing?

I tried looking down my throat, or identifying the aforementioned anatomical parts, but with no success (it was almost physically impossible, especially with dim light, a foggy mirror, and an uncooperative tongue that kept getting in the way). But, it was fun :) I have now tried almost all of the home remedies I had heard about (like the lemon-honey mess, salt-water gargle--now THAT was fun... especially when no one was home, so I could giggle and gargle all I wanted--, increasing my fluid intake (no caffeine... sorry my beloved Pepsi...), keeping my throat covered with a scarf all day/night, took Ibuprofen...

Ah, the Spanish ibuprofen! Ok, I knew they were strange, and like odd flavors, but, PLEASE! Whoever would make a package of ibuprofen, meant to be dissolved in water, anise flavor? Oh my! Icky, that is all I can say. First off you have the disgusting taste from the Ibuprofen (no, the anise didn't even mask it...), but then you have this ridiculously strong after-taste of anise. I don not like anise. They obviously do. Anise and eucalyptus. Those are the two best-selling candy flavors, honest to goodness...


Although I have been er... reflecting on the slightly negative aspects of yesterday, it actually was a great day, filled with lots of food and flowers. I baked cherry scones with my mom in the morning, and I have to say that, in all of my now-17 years, those were the most delicious scones ever. :) And, my daddy loves me and got me the most gorgeous purple-and-green striped orchid! Amazing flowers... The center petal is a rich royal purple, and the other ones are wine-purple striped on a pale yellow-green er... background. Lovely :) And we had the Amaryllis that bloomed for Dad's birthday on Sunday as well, so we have a very colorful living room right now :)

Thank you to everyone who congratulated me, and thank you for thinking of me on this special, yet normal, day! Cheerio~

3 comments:

mandrews said...

I'm sorry to hear that you got sick! That definitely makes birthdays feel way less special! Happy Birthday again dear!

Eschew obfuscation! said...

wow, what an amazing orchid!
happy 17th!!! =) Now you have joined this wonderful age. seriously, it's better than 13 or icky 14.... anyways. I'm sorry you were sick. to be honest with you i have to say that I enjoy being mildly stuffy on occasion. it sort of heightens your enjoyment of taste and smell when you get them back, if you know what i mean. yeah, i've got bizzarre taste, i know. =) and yes, i am thinking of making google my main blog. there's only two of my friends left on xanga now... it's sort of died out. sigh. anyways. chech your inbox!!

Eschew obfuscation! said...

p.s.: congrats on the "about me" section. =) very fitting. a slight change in tone, but the same essential you.