Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Senseless suspense

Oh, the joys of suspense movies! While I usually scamper out during actual "scary" movies, I find myself glued to the sofa for suspenseful ones. But not necessarily because I enjoy it. Last night we watched "Flatliners." Oh, what mind games were woven through that movie! Although, out of all of us there watching it, my brother claims that me and one of my good friends present were the ones that took it from "suspense" to "scare." The two of us, scared stiff every time you could just FEEL something was going to happen, jumping at little things (and consequently making those around us, already nervous because of the movie, jump even higher. Hehe.), muffling our pathetic shrieks, and staring at the screen with eyes that opened and closed based on how brave we felt at each moment. Ok, my friend wasn't nearly as bad as I was, but her eyes widening in fright/suspense and then shutting closed when it got more nerve-wracking made my stiff huddled form even more stiff. Oh, it was fun though. What can I say? I enjoy deceiving myself, trying to trick myself by saying "I'm not going to watch" while covering all of my face except for the fact that my fingers are wedged open over my eyes to let me peep though, that is one of the best parts of suspense films. Deceiving oneself. I know that most people believe that it is better to actually WATCH the scary parts rather than let your imagination run wild, but I guess I've learned to repress my rampant imagination until the next "non-scary-plot-furthering" part of the movie. 'Tis a gift! And seeing other people jump after I jump kind of snaps the paralyzed feeling I get when I get nervous during a movie. It lightens the mood. Ok, ok, let me rephrase that: it lightens MY mood, while giving everyone else an unnecessary adrenaline rush. Aye, yes. Fun fun :) I would probably be fine if I could chat my way through the movie, but people always keep shutting me up. Oh well, this is my little vengeance. Pathetic little vendetta, I know, but hey, no one ever said they had to be brilliant! Cheerio!

No comments: