Friday, February 15, 2008

Mais oui, mon ami

Just like every other month this school-year, I have a Cultural Project for my French class. For February, we are to either a) visit a local French restaurant and try something new on the menu, or b) make a French meal at home.

Well, thinking of recipes really opened my eyes as to just how much French food we eat at home. Also, what would their definition of "local French restaurant" be? Does driving for a couple hours up to the French border count? It will definitely be REAL French food~ But, beside that point, the amount of French dishes we eat on a regular basis surprised me. Just take a look at our menu of this past week:
-Crepes
-Vichyssoise
-Quiche
-Rataouille
-French toast--I think it actually IS French, too
-Garlic-stuffed chicken

And I ask you, what more could you ask for for a French menu? There's no way I'm going to make snails (or, to make them sound exotic and elegant, "escargots"), and aillioli, no matter how many people in the South of France claim it as French, is CATALAN. I'm serious! Some of the French just try to forget that southern France was once part of the Catalan empire, so, of course they would have inherited such basic foods as aillioli!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh! frenchness reminds me. today we learned about Louis Pasteur in class- that is to say, our teacher mentioned him in passing. And DO YOU KNOW WHAT SHE SAID???? "This is an experiment by Louis Pasteur, an English gentlemen who did...." ENGLISH?! I ask you! What kind of an englishman is named Louis Pasteur? Could a name get more french? So I, being the tactful person that I am, blurted this out. Oh yes. In the middle of class I went "But he was FRENCH!" -quiet-is-ly. but you can hear everthing in this class. Maria, the one who claims i'm smart, turned around and just smiled her knowing smile at me. the teacher acted like she hadn't heard me. and frenchie kept turning around to (possibly) look at me. I can't believe he didn't stand up for his fellow countryman! sheesh. France should at least get credit for pasteur.
Oh, and the other thing I wanted to say was, your stomach is currently the object of my envy. what does ratatouille taste like? can I come eat at your house for ever and ever? All you have to do to get JD down there is detail for him some of your menus for the week... he'll be there in no time! ;)
anyway. I have a feeling this is going to be a veeeery long comment. :D
HAppy Saturday, Annalisa-friend!
with much love,
k.

Anonymous said...

so it's been raining all day for two days now and it's a lovely dove-gray outside.
this morning, I found "The Time of the Doves" in the library. Imagine my surprise to open it and see the word "Catalan"! So i perused it some more... turns out it's Mercé Rodoreda's book La plaça del diamant. gah!!! and translated into enlish by a guy whose name sounds jewish. So I just had to borrow it, of course, though I know it's horribly depressing. I'm going to show it to Mom and see how she reacts. ;)
I asked the Library ladies if they'd read it. They said no (they had to put a brand new sticker on it, I don't think anyone's ever taken it out before.). I asked my Lang Arts teacher if SHE'D read it, and she said no and recommended to me a Spanish author- García Marquez. =) lol. anyways. I'm amazed that it got here...
how are you?