Thursday, February 14, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue...



Roses are red,
violets are blue,
they tell me its Valentine's day,
I forgot, did you?









So yeah, I'm not a poet, but I had to think up something. When you're homeschooled, you can tend to forget that there is a world out there--especially a world and its holidays. Well, this morning was nothing special, and I really did not remember it having any particular meaning other than the fact that facebook swamped my inbox with "Be my valentine", "Valentines' Day Special", "Show him you care" garbage. Then, it dawned on me: February 14th... Valentine's Day. And here I was thinking it was only special because I had a Propositional Logic class and my Research Paper Writing one later this afternoon. Silly me.

If you couldn't tell, I am neither in a relationship, nor looking for one. I don't consider myself a particularly starry-eyed, looking-for-prince-charming kind of girl (except for those little unexpected moments, every once in a while). And, it had never been my intention to go boy-shopping (or hunting, for that matter), and fill my head with warm-and-fuzzy thoughts of love. But, of course, the whole Valentine's Day got me thinking about this particular subject. Now, you can look around on ANY website today, and it will talk about this same theme. Coincidence?

But, I took the time to forget the advertised concept of "love," and remembered how much I am truly loved. I am not particularly against Valentine's Day, I don't feel vengeful against love and celebrating it, and I'm not being "rebellious" with a victorious cry of "I'm SINGLE! Take that world!" It just does not really affect me that way. For me, love should be shown every day, in different ways. Flowers and chocolate are nice--don't get me wrong! I'd positively melt if the person I love gave me that, but it coming from someone else kind of ruins it--but how else can I show that I care?

I have a wonderful family that loves me, amazing friends that think up special ways to show that they love me, and, most of all, a God who made the ultimate sacrifice to show that HE loves ME. It really hit me today. We always feel like we need to be loved, but are we giving some of that love away as well?
Are we patient, are we kind? Do we envy, do we boast, are we proud? Do we rejoice with the truth? Do we always protect, always trust, always hope, always persevere?

Last night, I read something that really didn't hit me until this afternoon. It all sort of tied in, in the strange and wondrous ways that God ties everything in--although sometimes we need to take a step back in order to see the pattern.

"Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins."
~1 John 4:8-10

So, today I plan on reflecting on true love, realize how truly loved and blessed I am, and think up little ways to show others that I care.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked your Valentine's reflection lot it's a very good approach, i think, and I intend to start thinking about it immediately. secondly, your post about the dentists made me laugh. hard. and I really feel for the little girl. what a terrible fate, to be anaesthetized at the age of 4!! not to mention subject to an operation. she really deserved a gold star or something... churros, maybe. or maybe not, depending on the state of her mouth.

Vigneshwar said...

they say love is universal
i am an indian staying some thousand miles away from
but ur post struck me
it isnt that i have problem with people being single or in relation
but considering only love life as criterion for ur happiness has always made me think,
"we love each day we love everyone
but our lust makes us confine it to a single day and single person..........

thanx for ur post
its been inspirational for me someone who had breakup just few days back