Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Musical minorities

To those of you who know me well, this might not come as a surprise. Then again, it probably will. Just how well do you understand the fact that I have extremely odd tastes? Take music for example:

Putting aside the fact that I tend to categorize SONGS by like or dislike (I rarely pick a favorite "band", because I usually only like a song or two of theirs anyways), these are some of the styles that I've listened to recently and enjoyed:

-OLD French songs (I'm talking, 1890s till a couple decades ago)--You just gotta love the accordion, and their random pauses and spoken monologues right in the middle of the songs.
-Japanese pop music--Everything sounds cooler in Japanese.
-Anime music--not to be confused with JPop. Much cooler :) Some of the soundtracks of my favorite anime (such as 'Tsubasa Chronicles') give me goosebumps.
-Celtic music--I really have yet to find many celtic-style songs that I don't like. Must be the fiddle and the specific rhythm that makes me want to learn to do a jig. (Whether its the pure, angelic voices from the ladies in Celtic Woman or the merry pub songs)
-Musicals--Recently I have realized just how different it is from other song styles. It really is its own genre. (Wicked, Fiddler on the Roof, etc.)
-Soundtracks--Particularly from musical films, but soundtracks themselves are just plain old amazing. (Spirit; Freaky Friday; PotC; LotR; etc.)
-Disney songs--the good old fairytales. Given, some of the newer ones are decent, but I still love the ones where the main characters could actually SING well (Beauty and the Beast, Pocahontas, Sleeping Beauty, Lion King, Mulan, Little Mermaid, Aladdin... you name it, I can probably sing it).
-Classical music--not necessarily opera, but rather the music played by the orchestra for them. (Shubert's "Ave Maria" for violin leaves me speechless. And I am a big fan of anyone who can play any instrument well: piano, trumpet, flute, cello, harp...)
-Random songs I find here and there, that my friends force me to listen to, and I actually end up being pleasantly surprised ("Far Away" by Nickleback, "Truly Madly Deeply" by Cascada, "A thousand Miles" by Vanessa Carlton, "One Last Breath" and "Higher" by Creed, "Yellow" by Coldplay, "Away from the Sun" by 3 Doors Down, "Istanbul, Not Constantinople", etc, etc.)
-Eastern or Oriental music--Most people feel that the difference in scales sounds "off". I, personally, love it. Maybe that's why I'm a such a fan of Japanese music. Although, I reserve a special place in my heart for "Ancient Egyptian"-y kind of ambiance/instrumental music.


I've learned how many different types of music there are out there, and I'm eager to explore and find new favorites and likes and dislikes. Hawaiian? Swedish? Turkish? Persian? German? So many choices! Well, I am going to head out now, to explore and dare to dream and experience new sounds. Have a wonderful day!

3 comments:

mandrews said...

I LOVE "Truly, Madly, Deeply" by Cascada! Pretty much I love Cascada! She's one of my new favorites! I have strange music tastes too... It's what makes us unique!

Eschew obfuscation! said...

Hey there.
come see!
http://penspart.blogspot.com/
=) it's not much yet, and I could use your technical support. For example, how do I add links to other people's blogs to my own?
anywho
happy monday!

Eschew obfuscation! said...

ahem! that would be your friendly friend, Mësi Malloy speaking... sorry, forgot to sign the last comment. hehe.