Friday, April 4, 2008

Snowfall is to hair like max. temperatures are to house

Today, as my mom and I splurged into another round of college-hunting (it has been a mother-daughter past time recently), we found this nifty site with all sorts of graphs, charts, and data on the specific town where the college is located. As I am still aiming for WU, I looked up Spokane, WA, as compared to HC in Houghton, NY (I got a "care package", as I call them, from their school this morning, which actually started the college research frenzy). As I looked at HC's data, it said that the average temperature (in what I would consider the "warmer" times of year, such as, well, summer) were really low in my opinion, under 50F. My mind working as it does, I did a simple regla de tres ("rule of three", does that even translate? hm) and ended exclaiming, "that's colder than my house!" You see, my friends, the house we lived in Banyoles was ALWAYS at 60F. Especially in the winter.
Now, 60 is cold, no matter what anyone may say--even more so if it is INSIDE the house. That brought back a flurry of memories that I swept to the side as I tried to focus on the project on hand: trying to figure out if HC could be my elusive "6th college" (for those of you who are not familiar with the SAT, they send your scores to 6 colleges for free, and any more you have to pay for.). Now, I have been trying to fill that spot for months now (I finally got it from 2, to 3, to 5! Hurrah! Yay me!), and I was starry-eyed at the prospect about finding the missing link to my college preparation.

Unfortunately, it was a dead end. It's extremely small, in the middle of no where (or, as they say here, "On Déu va pedre l'espardenya i no la va tornar a buscar", "where God forgot His slipper and didn't bother to go fetch it back from"), did not really have any majors that I went, "ah-ha! that's me!", and really had nothing more appealing than an amazing equestrian center and being 2 hours from Niagara Falls. The reviews also included a particularly "exciting" story about driving 30 mins away and going to Wallmart (ok, now, I'll admit that sounds exciting to me, but that is an entirely different story). That drew me in, but the rope ended about there. Whenever the population of the town matches that of the college, I kind of lose interest.

Back to the chart site, I found that the average snowfall of one of the two cities I was looking up was 16in for a month. Again, my mind working the way it does, I cried out, "that's way more than my hair!" Recently, I've been trying to grow out my hair to a minimum of 10in, a desire for 12in, in order to donate it to Locks of Love.

So, as I heard once and quote all the time, as for my brain, "its a big bag of weird in there!", and I never cease to amaze myself at the simple complexity of how I think, the comparisons I make, and what I glean from anything I see. :D Well, now you know that whenever I compare things, what you'll heard about out loud will make absolutely no sense to you, yet it could not be easier for me to understand.
Cheerio, my confused friends! By the way, those pictures are both from Banyoles (the town with the freezing cold house), and one of them is the lake there. That was basically the only thing I enjoyed about that town, honestly. And even that had a downside: the cotton-ish trees that FILLED the air with white fluff about now, leaving me lying on the floor in one sneezing, puffy-eyed, runny-nosed mess. So, yeah, wonderful place.

1 comment:

hannah said...

please don't rule out houghton just cuz it's small and cold! i may be biased since my sister went there and i visited it, but i really liked what i saw. then again, i really like small small towns. but what i loved the most was that the countryside reminded me so strongly of germany and that is exciting!
well, you make the decision. but i couldn't resist putting in my two cents. happy college hunting!
hannah
PS it's not really that cold. not any colder than chicago.