Monday, December 10, 2007

And a partridge in a pear tree?

When in London, I realized how truly close to Christmas we are (aka--it's after Thanksgiving, therefore pre-Christmas season is now official). The lights and decorations up everywhere we beautiful, and made it feel very, well, Christmassy (that and the cold . . . but that's beside the point).


Yesterday, we finally got a Christmas tree! Well, we did not exactly "get" a tree, because we already had the perfect candidate in our back yard:

Isn't it wonderful!? Yes, our very own lemon tree, all dressed up and ready to go. One of my good friends asked if they did not have REAL Christmas trees in Spain or something, but, although they do, we thought our little citrus-scented bush out in the back would do just fine :) It is sort of like a Charlie Brown Christmas tree, although slightly fuller and verdant . . . and the cute little "rice lights" we decorated it with give off a very sweet, soft holiday feel to it all. That and the ceramic Moose ornament, as well as the beautiful lace snowflakes and the limpid angels floating amidst the foliage . . .

As I told my Dad, it feels like we live somewhere exotic, like a north-African country, where the tamarisk and the lemon tree grow . . . then I just smiled to myself and remembered what one of our guests told asked us as long time ago: "Well, don't they say that Africa starts below the Pyrenees?" An insult to most people, I just find it mildly entertaining, especially when it fits in so well with what I was musing about.

No comments: