Thursday, December 27, 2007

Vegetarian wannabe?


Oh-you-who-know-who-you-are had just recently decided to try her hand at being a vegetarian. That's great and all, but, I must say that Spain is not exactly the place to start. Put it this way . . . we went to a nice Catalan family's house for Christmas day, and ended up eating:
1) Appetizers: fuet (cured sausage), cansalada, pate, and tons of ham (dried, cured ham. Jamon Iberico, as it is REALLY called)
2) First course: the meat globs... I mean "balls"... in the soup
3) Second/Main course: chicken with prunes. Stewed beef. Botifarra (another sausage). Wild Boar.

Anyone else sensing a pattern? She can tell you all what she thought of it, but I have to say that wild boar (which had been cooking/stewing for 4 solid days to make it tender. Verdad de la buena.) is one of my favorite meats. But, all of the main course dishes were heavenly. The sweet mixing and melding of flavors and aromas. Sweet with salty, tangy with meaty... Beautiful. A wonderful concerto of flavors, while filling the air with joyous laughter and innumerable toasts. Let the wine flow freely, and keep the champagne coming! That's Spain for ya: meat and wine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

=) my friend, do you have any idea how much you sound like the rat from ratatouille? If you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about... anyway, I saw a movie with Idina Menzel in it today! Couldn't believe my eyes when the credits rolled around! It was pretty cool, though unfortunately she did no singing and only one scene of dancing... anyway. =) It made me smile.

mandrews said...

Oh my dear you are too funny! I love reading your blogs...

And Kate Idina Menzel is pretty stinkin' amazing! She has a new album coming out in January and I can't wait! She was great in Enchanted too (even though it was a small part!)