Thursday, December 6, 2007

Wickedly enjoyable

I've "been galindafied". Certainly. "It's Glinda. The Gaa is silent."

Hurrah! I can now officially say that I have seen Wicked! "I couldn't be happier. Simply, couldn't be happier . . ." I love London: the lights, the people, the action, all the different forms of entertainment, their style (I tried on two dresses, and both were darling, and FIT PERFECTLY! Now, when's the last time that a. anything fits me, or b. two in a row? Unfortunately, we had a plane to catch, and that took precedence) . . . But, I could not help but feel immensely privileged, blessed, and loved when we walked into the Apollo Victoria Theater on Monday night. The theater itself was a wonder, beautifully and ornately decorated, allowing one's imagination to transport them back to a time where people dressed up in elegant silks and furs to attend a play. The set for the play was incredibly intricate and well-done, and when the dragon came to life in the very beginning you could just feel the whole audience jump in their seats.

I had this huge smile on my face almost the entire time (there were times where the smile gave way to other expressions which reflected the character's own, and yet other times where the tears wouldn't stop coming, no matter how hard I tried not to ruin the heart-breaking silence with my extremely inelegant sniffles). I usually love to sing along, but in this case, although I knew the songs, knew the words, and had sung them a thousand times before, I let the actresses do their job. It was an amazing performance and their voices were too beautiful to describe with mere words.

I can now quote it, through and through, haven't stopped singing the extremely sticky songs, and find myself grinning at random times of day, thinking of something from the musical. It was worth it.

1 comment:

mandrews said...

Yay! I am so happy you got to see it! Didn't you love all of the little "Glindaisms"? "It's Glinda... the Ga is silent"! Oh man I miss it... I am going to try and see it again with my friend in February...