Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Eating Eggs with a Spoon

"Diary" entries from my trip to London, republished here for your entertainment.

We got in all right last night, despite the fact that everything around us food-wise closed after 7:30pm... We found a decent pizza place nearby, and I enjoyed all 6 slices of pepperoni (yes, 6 on the whole pizza... tsk tsk). Although, Mom and I are still wondering what it was that they flopped on hers... we were afraid to ask, afraid to imagine what animal it came from... But still, all was well in the world as we watched NCIS (TV) in English. It was a delightful surprise!

This morning's breakfast was er . . . interesting. I for one like my eggs to actually touch the pan before they're flopped on my plate. So, very kindly, we asked for another, that was "hard" this time. Well, it WAS hard . . . but I still doubt that it had touched the pan in any way. Usually, the egg-white has a welcomed golden glow to it. Not in this case. But still, I'm not one to complain. I did welcome the sausages wholeheartedly, got addicted to a rather unsavory (yet, addicting, as I said) HP sauce, and ended up eating my eggs with a spoon. How? Well, it becomes a necessity when your nice waitress decided to snatch up your plate, along with your fork, while you take a deep breath before plunging into the plate of eggs . . . So, being the flexible, adventurous soul that I am, I ate my Jell-O like eggs with a small spoon that had come with my tea (I was loath to use a knife for something so wiggly and jiggly as those eggs).

Later that afternoon, after I had filled that corner of my heart dedicated to Ancient Egypt to the brim, we meandered through the rest of the British museum (truth be told, we were lost, looking for an exit, and happened to stumble across random galleries we didn't even know existed. Wonderful :D). We saw all the highlights: the Rosetta Stone, the Assyrian Winged Bulls, the Easter Island statue (smaller than I had expected), the Lewis Chessmen (small, cute, and a rather inexplicable claim to fame, in my opinion), Lindow Man (talk about grotesque), etc. etc.


One of the items that struck my fancy were handle. We thought that these would make excellent tableware. Spike your meat with the handle, then aim your spoon at the jellified eggs for round two :) It all just these amazing spoons, with a delightful spike as afell into place with that morning's breakfast conversation and events. Ah, how Wonderful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hurrah! She's back! (in purple, no doubt... :P )
Sounds absolutely fascinating! I've wanted to see the Rosetta stone for a long time... up close, like. What are the Lewis chessmen? You know what you just reminded me of? It's sad, but here it is: that movie, about the Museum caretaker, with Eddie Murphy in it. And I laughed HARD at the eggs.. and the other spoons. =)
Good to have you back on the web, my friend.